Monday, April 5, 2010

WiFi--iPod Touch, iPad, More

The first release of Apple's iPad is the WiFi version that makes it act much like the iPod Touch--though with a 9.5 inch (25 cm) screen.

I have been using the iPod Touch and its WiFi capabilities since July, 2009.  I really appreciate the apps and its functionality.  I can use it for eMail, for surfing using Google and Safari, and for a variety of other apps, audiobooks, movies, photos, voice memos, etc.

GPS is one of the weakest applications on the iPod Touch.  I understand its functionality is much better on the iPhone.  When I provide the addresses, the iPod Touch uses Google Maps and provides me directions to get to a variety of addresses.

My GPS for the car (a TomTom) is not working properly and it's great to have the back-up via the iPod Touch.  One of the problems of the WiFi iPod Touch (and, potentially, for the current WiFi iPad) is that many of its apps work only when connected to the Internet via a WiFi network.  While there are many WiFi networks available, there is not yet universal access.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.