Saturday, April 10, 2010

Travel and Adventures--Companions Over Time

For April 8, 2010
My fourth grade teacher had just returned from Spain and taught us Spanish while we learned the other fourth grade subjects.  I learned some French in a language-learning program offered at the university my mother attended for graduate school the next summer.  By the time I was ten I spoke a bit of both Spanish and French and began a life-long love of communicating in multiple languages.

In the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school, because I had just completed two years of high school Spanish, I was invited to visit Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic as part of President John F. Kennedy's "Sister City" program.   This was my first opportunity to put into practice what I had learned in Spanish class.

That first taste of travel began another life-long love of travel.  Along with the travel came the adventures.  I haven't often written about those adventures and it seems to be a good idea to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.