Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What have you done lately?--Common Practice vs. Common Sense

“What have you done lately?” --a question asked of me on Wednesday, August 12th. 2009.

Lately I've done what I have been doing throughout my 40+ year career, helping people and organizations learn to change to improve their quality of (business) life now and for the future.  I incorporate research-based best practices, years of wisdom and experience with more than 100 organizations and thousands of individuals around the world, what I have learned over the years--including earning a doctorate and two masters degrees--and applying all of that in practical, step-by-step approaches that can be learned by children and adults.

A better question could be--who have you done this for lately?  In the summer of 2009, my answer would be based on the different roles I have played. 

As an educator--Since 9-11-2001, I have been working with English language learners (ELLs) in K-12 school systems in Illinois, helping them learn both academic skills and how to work and learn using English.  In that time I have developed innovative techniques in helping students and adults to learn to read better by using audiobooks.

As a consultant--I have begun working on a project to do community needs analyses for chambers of commerce dealing with the workplace learning needs for their members.  The process involves developing a survey, sharing it with the membership, and analyzing the results--offering the results to local school systems who can help fill the learning gaps identified in the surveys.  The Chambers of Commerce take the credit for the survey with their members.  The outcomes help build community resources and economic development.

As a researcher and author--I have recently published 13 research-based working papers in the Education Research Information Clearinghouse (ERIC) focused on various intervention strategies to improve learning for English language learners.

As a reflective practitioner--I have engaged in the process of reflecting on what I do so that I can reach more people who need to learn how to change and have been implementing a variety of communication vehicles on the Internet that will allow more people to work with what I offer to help the people and organizations they work with.

(By the way, to see what I'm doing currently, visit my Projects Wiki space using the link above. I have a well-started pilot project and may need more participants, if you are interested.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.