Monday, August 31, 2009

The Business of Getting Noticed by the Right People

In the 2009 economy in the USA, much time on the internet is invested in trying to get noticed by "the right people."  Who are the "right people?"  That depends on the goal.  If I want a job, I want to be noticed by people who are hiring.  If I am looking for contract work, I want to be noticed by the people who are looking for someone to fill the contract.  If I want to find consulting work, I want to be noticed by organizations who would like to use me as a consultant.  Sologig.com and Fulcrum Network both focus on identifying opportunities for contract or consulting work.

How do we go about getting noticed in this age of social networking?  We post resumes to job boards, fill-out profiles on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and other locations.  We create web sites, blogs, create podcasts, put out promotional pieces on YouTube--and hope for the best

Many people are in the business of helping people get noticed.  In fact, there are almost more people trying to help others improve their resumes than there are people hiring for jobs. 

We do need to get noticed by the right people--for the right reasons--and for the right "investment" of our time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.