Friday, August 21, 2009

". . . There's an 'app' for that."

I downloaded the free application (app) called "Bump" from the Apple iTunes Store this morning. Apple iTunes has been open for a little more than a year and "Bump" (as I remember) said that it was proud to be the billionth application available for download.

I have the iPod Touch (2nd Generation)  running the 3.0 operating system.  It can work with almost all of the apps available. I just purchased an external microphone for the iPod Touch, so now I can work with all of the apps that call for recording. I just can't take photos or work with the telephone features. To run on the Internet I need to be at a WiFi location.
Enough "tecky" stuff. Apple has done a great job and I can see more and more people getting great value from these products and apps. It was good timing, too, for the introduction of these things.
After downloading "Bump" to my PC and then synchronizing it to my iPod Touch, I downloaded a few more free apps and tested them out--along with their PC-based versions. There are some phenomenonal apps and I found myself investing most of the day in learning how to work the new apps and more expansive PC-based software. One of the best things I found was a new software for making movies of what you do on the PC. The name of the product is "Jing" and it is produced by TechSmith software (http://www.techsmith.com)--makers of SnagIt and several other terrific products I have used for years. I downloaded the free version of Jing and it will allow me to make a free, five-minute movie that I can post to websites, etc. This is just what I need for some presentations and webinars and podcasts I hope to be producing in the near future.
So, did I waste my time "playing" with some apps today? I probably did, though I also added to my personal creativity and found some new tools I needed to get my work done--when I get "down to work."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.