Sunday, January 3, 2010

A story about a Business Opportunity--Is the Time Right Yet?

In October, 2009, I wrote a post about "The Wizard's First Rule".  Part of my motivation for that post was a recent experience of finding what I thought was a consulting opportunity very similar to the consulting opportunity brought to me by a headhunter in November, 1999.  A European-based technology consulting firm, affiliated with Philips in the Netherlands, had started doing business in the USA and was looking for senior business consultants to help with their work in the USA.  I joined AtosOrigin (Origin Technology in Business) and enjoyed almost two years with them until the Netherlands-based firm merged with a French-based firm and AtosOrigin was created.

In 2001, after the terrorist attack in New York City on 9/11, I decided to commit time to teach K-12 students.  Beginning in 2003 I taught in K-12 classrooms for six years.  While teaching I kept my consulting practice going part-time in the background.

What I see in the beginning of 2010 is the opportunity for professional consultants to join together to help for-profit, not-for-profit businesses, schools, and other organizations to meet the emerging challenges and opportunities of the new decade.

What I thought I had found in October, 2009, is an opportunity I want to create in 2010. (See my list of services on my website.)  In my 30+ years of experience with consulting, I have learned that I am better off working in a group of professional colleagues where each can add his or her expertise, experience, and talents for the good of all--including the clients.

Is the time right yet?  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.