Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Aikido Principles--Insights for Action and Improving Results

Aikido principles are often symbolized by three shapes.  A square means "defend."  A triangle means "attack."  A circle means "flow."

Applying these principles on a daily basis when dealing with challenges that present themselves can help provide greater insight and improve results.


 How we react to challenges is often a habit.  For some, when asked to do something, the first reaction is to refuse (defend) (square shape).  This can lead to justifications of why we cannot or will not do what is asked.  For others, the first reaction is to attack (triangle shape)--self or others. (For example, asking questions like "Why do you want me to do that?  Why are you picking on me?")  A third response is to flow (circle).  This is usually the most creative resonse and can lead to the most significant improvements.   Any one of the three reactions can be appropriate, given the right circumstances.  If we want to build a positive habit and to see more positive results in our life, we need to develop the habit of reacting by moving to flow.

One example of moving to flow happened to me two days ago.  I was asked to submit a publication dealing with human computer interface.  While I had published related working papers, I didn't have one available on that topic.  Rather than to react with defend or attack, I chose flow and wrote a paper based on work I have been doing for the past few years.  I need to do more research and to revise the paper before submitting it for distribution. By reacting with flow to the challenge, I created a new opportunity to publish research and to share learning with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.