Saturday, November 14, 2009

Shared Values and Priorities--Requirements for Successful Relationships, both Business and Personal

Shared values and priorities are critically important for successful relationships in both business and personal life.  When values and priorities clash, the people involved pull in opposing directions and progress toward any goals becomes very hard--like walking through deep mud or molasses.

When values and priorities are shared, especially when perspectives can also be shared, it is much easier for the people involved to work together to achieve the desired goals, often encouraging each other when anyone encounters resistance or difficulties.

In a business setting, when I hear someone speak highly about a value I do not hold, I am immediately alerted to pay attention to how much (energy, money, etc.) I want to invest with the business or people adhering to that value.

In a personal setting, if I find someone speaking highly (or acting on) values I do not hold, I am immediately alerted to pay attention to how much (energy, money, etc.) I want to invest in that relationship or with that person.

While at first glance, this may seem a little harsh, over time I have discovered that these are lessons I need to keep in mind.  Ultimately I will act on these priorities, so I may as well act on them immediately.

My family commitments are currently more important to me than business opportunities.  I frequently hear of business opportunities that would split me away from my family priorities.  Regardless of how good they sound, these business opportunities are not for me--at least in the near term.  If I see a contradiction in values within the opportunities, they are not for me in the long term either.  The good news about that is that I can free up my energy and time to consider or create business opportunities that are aligned with my family commitments, business priorities, and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.