Thursday, November 12, 2009

Secure Websites, Identity Theft, Internet Purchases, DrM-Language

In setting-up Internet payments through PayPal, I was advised not to use a logo if the site was unsecure.  That would result in error messages saying that some content was not secure when someone wanted to make a purchase.

PayPal and many other websites are secure and protect payment information from clients and customers.  More and more products and services are available for purchase via the Internet.  Most of these payments are secure.

A few months ago I responded to an e-mail ad and purchased a service.  Shortly after that someone made an unauthorized purchase on a MasterCard, using data I had provided for that service.  My credit-card company refunded the unauthorized charge and I was reminded about the vulnerability we all have for identity theft.  In this case, I believe that the information gained about my card came from a telephone call follow-up.

Now I need to have the credit-card number changed and a new card issued so that no more unauthorized charges can be made against the card.

DrM-Language has some links for people to purchase an affordable, online language learning program. On those links there is an Enroll button which goes to a secure site for purchase of the online language program. 

As an Internet merchant who has experienced unauthorized charges on my credit-cards, I am even more sensitive to the need to protect my clients and customers.  At present, I rely on vendors to provide the secure websites for payments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.