Thursday, December 17, 2009

Remembering What's Important

Remembering what's important is sometimes difficult.  "It's hard to remember that your goal was to drain the swamp when you're up to your tail feathers in alligators."

I was reminded of this today when I found my mother taking the lights off the Christmas tree very carefully to put them away along with the ornaments.  She was reliving early childhood experiences after Christmas with her brother, Danny.  She had forgotten that today is December 17th and that tomorrow (Dec 18th) is her 95th birthday.

I could have allowed her to talk about her brother, then could have brought another tree from my house or fix her tree later. 

It took both of us a while to disengage the "I'm right; you're wrong" response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.