Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas!!

Christmas is an important tradition in my family, from the spiritual focus of the holy event celebrated by Christians around the world to the family traditions of gathering together in loving, piece, joy, and sharing.

Both Mom and Dad had important memories of Christmas in their family and we brought it into our family, too.  As a child, I remember having Caroling parties at my home for my friends, the awe inspiring activities in the church, especially the midnight services, the Christmas tree, and, above all, the sense of togetherness and love.

Tied closely to the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, Christmas follows the longest night in the year.  In cold climates, under clear conditions (different from what would have been experienced in Bethlehem at the actual birth of Jesus Christ) the stars appear closer to the earth and there is a stillness and peace that we can be aware of.  It's cold outside and we appreciate the warmth of being together in front of a blazing fire in a hearth.

Our modern society seems to move at an ever increasing pace, with Internet and social networks abounding.  At the same time, these powerful connections between people and, for those with faith, in terms of Spirit, make our world and our lives a richer place.

I am a follower of Christ and find Him in my heart--every day and especially today. 

I love the traditions of Saint Nicholas (or Santa Claus) and appreciate the good that flows abundantly in all sorts of ways as people are inspired by the Christmas Spirit.

Christmas is a good time to reflect and to give thanks for all the blessings we experience on a daily basis.  I am certainly thankful and look at all of the Christmases I have experienced so far as a series of blessings in my life.

I feel especially blessed to be able to share it with family and friends.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.