Monday, September 14, 2009

Public or Private? Which Makes Most Sense?

In creating some MP4 videos using TechSmith's Camtasia software, I decided to post some publically on YouTube--with back-ups on TeacherTube in case of firewall problems with YouTube. 

It is a real question--whether or not to give the public access to some of the information we may want to share with others.  How many others?  For what purpose?

One of my videos is of a presentation I made called Using Audio Books to Improve Reading and Academic Performance.  That's the video I was working on yesterday.  It's up today on my website at http://www.joelmonty.net/education/education.htm.  (My computer may have been multitasking while I was making the video, so I'll have to double check to make sure that the audio is well synchronized with the video throughout.)  I may try to put that video on TeacherTube later because I want as many teachers to access the presentation as possible.  The information is important.

That's a major key for me to keep in mind.  Who do I want to have access to material I make available and why?  What do I need to do to preserve my privacy and copyright on the materials I share?  Both of these are decisions to be made on a daily basis.

I have another research paper recently published that I need to turn into a presentation.  It is about working with "reluctant" English language learners (ELLs) and encouraging them to produce higher quality in the classroom.  I'd like for that to be a video on TeacherTube as well.

It's amazing how many hours are required to keep these things going and available for others to make use of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog shortly.